Why were the CCSS adopted?
In 2010, the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) recognized the opportunity to clearly define the knowledge and skills that will prepare students for the 21st century workplace and will ensure students are truly college and career ready. Leveraging the expertise of educators across 48 states was crucial to developing strong standards that meet the needs of all students. Working with state partners on the implementation of the CCSS also helps us to learn from one another, share free and available resources, and support students as they move from state to state.
The CCSS provide this guidance and support, while still maintaining the local control so important to districts throughout the state. Since 2010, Wisconsin has begun to link this system of CCSS, instruction and assessment to school accountability measures, educator effectiveness, and accountability for pre-service educator preparation programs. The CCSS provide the foundation for all of these important systems statewide. Additionally, the CCSS provide a framework to Wisconsin educators for research-based instructional practices that will truly transform student learning.
Wisconsin's Journey to College and Career-Ready Standards
The report “Transforming Teaching and Learning: Wisconsin’s Journey to College and Career-Ready Standards” and the corresponding appendices were developed by DPI pursuant to the requirements of Section 9134(2q)(c) of 2013 Wisconsin Act 20, the 2013-15 biennial budget bill. This report was submitted to the Governor’s office, Senate and Assembly clerks, and JFC co-chairs on August 30, 2013.
- WI’s Journey To College and Career Ready Standards: A DPI report as required by 2013 WI Act 20
- WI Legislative Fiscal Bureau Analysis of the Fiscal Implications of the CCSS: An LFB report as required by 2013 WI Act 20
- Timeline of CCSS Key Events
- Appendix A: Summit gives voice to business expectations for education (March 14, 2007)
- Appendix B: Wisconsin joins American Diploma Project Network (January 19, 2007)
- Appendix C: Wisconsin Launches Education Initiative to bring 21st Century Skills to Every School Student (January 17, 2007)
- Appendix D: Blueprint developed to improve Wisconsin’s Model Academic Standards (June 11, 2008)
- Appendix E: WI DPI ELA and Mathematics Standards Leadership Teams
- Appendix F: Wisconsin joins Common Core Standards initiative to transform education (June 1, 2009)
- Appendix G 1: America Diploma Project Praises Wisconsin's Academic Standards (July 2, 2009)
- Appendix G 2: Achieve Letter (June 30, 2009)
- Appendix H: Agenda 3.9.10 Common Core Preview Meeting (March 9, 2010)
- Appendix I 1: Wisconsin Common Core State Standards Feedback (April 2, 2010)
- Appendix I 2: National Governor's Association Feedback on CCSS ELA and Mathematics Standards
- Appendix J: Wisconsin Adoption of Common Core State Standards (June 2, 2010)
- Appendix K: College Readiness Partnership Recommendations (May 15, 2013)
- Appendix M: Phase by Phase Rollout: WI CCSS Focusing Instruction to Create Better Prepared Students (August 2, 2010)
- Appendix N: CCSS English Language Arts Standards
- Appendix O: CCSS Mathematics Standards